Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tom Sawyer

“Tom Sawyer”

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to get someone else to do your work? In the short story “The Glorious Whitewasher” by Mark Twain, a boy named Tom Sawyer tricks many kids into doing his work, because he’s too lazy to do it himself. Tom Sawyer is probably one of the laziest book characters of all time.
All over the world people trick other people into doing their work every day. Like in the book “Among the Enemy” by Margret Patterson they make children work in labor camps, so they are basically taking advantage of those children, just like what Tom did in the story. Otherwise there aren’t that many books I know of that are really similar to Tom Sawyer, but “Among the Enemy” came to my mind right away.
On Wednesday January 13 2011, Barack Obama had an important speech on the shootings in Tucson, Arizona. Barack had a quote “The loss of these wonderful people should make every one of us strive to be better in our private lives - to be better friends and neighbors, co-workers and parents”. Barack meant that we all need to become better people, because of this tragedy.
In Pakistan they make little children work in factories for NIKE to build shoes, and soccer balls. There are multiple stages of manipulation, for example there is physiological, crowd, data, parental, media, and market manipulation. They all have a different meaning, Tom Sawyer used physiological manipulation; Tom tricked the kids into doing his work.
I always try to get out of my work when my parents tell me to do stuff, for example take out the garbage, or to give my animal’s water/food. I usually don’t get my ways but sometimes I do get away with it. Also, I actually just do it, just so my parents don’t get mad at me.
Tom Sawyer made other children do his work, because he was too lazy to do it, but he was very smart. Tom really knew how to make people do his work. Manipulation happens all over the world to different people, even people you know and yourself. Tom Sawyer tricked many people in his time, so that makes Tom one of the trickiest book characters of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment